Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chapter 2

Despite my resolution to forget that Aaron existed, by the time I’d gotten back to campus, parked my car and walked up to my dorm room, I was fighting to keep the tears back.
When I walked into my room, my roommate, Bet,h took one look at me and said in alarm “Dicia! What’s wrong, girl?”
I wiped my eyes, as I replied “Aaron just dumped me, he found someone else.” I shook my head in disbelief.
“What?! What a JERK!” She hopped off her bed and rushed over to me to fold me into a huge bear hug. I let her hold me as I let go and gave into the torrent of tears that I couldn’t hold back any longer.
“I just thought you left your phone in the car or something! He’s been trying ot call here every 5 minutes for the past half hour! I didn’t know this had happened! Thank goodness I didn’t! I woulda ripped him a new one.”
As if on cue, the phone in our room rang at that moment.
Beth marched over to it and snatched it up. “WHAT?!?!?!” She answered. I had to smile.
….
“Yes, Aaron, she IS here, and NO you CANNOT talk to her!! WHAT is your PROBLEM?! Don’t dump her and tell her you found someone else and then call here actin’ like you wanna be friends! She doesn’t want to talk to you.”
….
He must have said “But I need to explain” or something to that effect, because she said “Aaron, I can explain it JUST fine! You’re a JERK, that’s the ONLY explanation I can see for your selfish stupidity! And DON’T call here again, if you don’t wanna be with her, fine, but just get the hell away, and leave her alone!”
She slammed the phone down.
I raised my eyebrows at her, and grinned. “Really?” I said then couldn’t help breaking into laughter at the self righteous look on her face.
“I don’t know who the heck he thinks he is, callin’ up here like nothin’ goin’ down. Men! Stupider than a box of rocks, I tell yah!” She said.
“Thank you, so much! I knew there was a reason we were friends!” I said, wiping my eyes with a kleenex.
“Girl, he’s just lucky he called on the phone and didn’t show up at the door!”
“I believe that!” I said, giggling.
Beth gave me another hug, and patted my back “You’re gonna be alright, he’s a jerk, forget about him! There are way more better fish in the sea, and all that!”
“I know, I just need some time to get over this, we were together for THREE years! THREE FRIGGEN YEARS!!!” I shake my head in amazement. What a waste of time. I thought.
“So, you wanna do somethin’ tonight? Go shopping? Out for ice cream? You name it, we’re there!” Beth said.
I sighed. “I wish I could, but I got a paper due in the morning.”
She echoed my sigh and said “Yeah, I have a test tomorrow and I haven’t done ANY of the reading yet.” She sat back down on her bed and wistfully flipped through the pages in her English textbook.
“How much do you have to read?”
“Oooh, only about a million pages.”
I shook my head and playfully wagged my finger at her. “I told you, that all your partying was gonna come back to bite yah in the butt.” I loved Beth, but she didn’t take her schooling very seriously. She loved going out and enjoying life, and if she had time to squeeze it in, she did school work or went to class.
“I know, I know.” She said. Then “You sure you don’t wanna go shopping?” She said with a sly smile on her face.
“Study!” I said, smiling.
“I heard Target is having a sale on summer wear.” She said in a sing song voice.
“Study!”
“I know you want a Banana Royale with chocolate ice creeaaam.”
“Study!” I said, laughing.
“Aw come on, you’re no fun!”
“Yeah? I’ll tell yah what’s NOT gonna be fun, is when you get kicked out of school and can’t come back in the fall.”
“I’m good with a flat 2.0 GPA, they ain’t gonna kick me out.”
I shook my head and rolled my eyes.
“Ok, Nerd! AFTER we work for a few hours, Then we can go for ice cream?” She asked.
I sighed. “Ok, ONLY if we get some good work done in the next couple of hours.” I said, as I pulled my laptop out of my bookbag and got it set up to get some serious work in.
“Oh goody!” she said with a cheesy smile and clapped her hands like a five year old.
I shook my head again at her silliness.
Then she looked at her watch “Oops, dinner!” And with that, she slammed her book shut, bounced off the bed and went out the door.
For about the hundredth time since I’d got back, I shook my head, and then I got down to work.

1 comment:

BronnyB said...

interesting, I'm ready for the next installment... keep it up.